old old aquaintace

General chit chat....
Forum rules
All the forums on this site are meant for either general or game specific discussions/questions/feedback.
This is NOT the place for spam, flames or fighting, and posts that don't follow this simple rule will be removed by the board moderator(s).

Enjoy our games, utils, tools and these forums...
Prozak

Postby Prozak » Mon Apr 19, 2004 21:51

remember me?
go here:
http://unitek3000.tripod.com/

hehe, received the GDNet newsletter, and there it was, Hacker, for download, immediatly remind me of you.

Just wanted to catch up and see how you're doing :)

Here's a link to my "new" website:
http://www.PositronicDreams.Com

And here's a link to that engine I used to tell you I was making, and, after many years, I'm still working on it :P
http://www.positronicdreams.com/index.php?Sec_ID=42

Its called Colibri 3D, and it is an API-independent 3D engine. You got some screenshots there and a few progress reports.

Glad to see you haven't turned into a "muggles", and you're still with "us" doing magic ;)

All the best,
Prozak

GamePlayHeaven
Site Admin

Postby GamePlayHeaven » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:29

Hi Hugo,

Long time no see... but it's great to see you're still working on stuff to. The new site looks really good, and I liked the screenshot of your dev. environment. I switched to .NET as well, since it offered so much more.

I am still working on Bombahman, but had a little side project going, a roster for our EverQuest guild (PHP, MySQL): ?http://eqroster.gameplayheaven.com. I enjoyed building that, but really look forward to continuing the Bombahman AI.

Lets keep in touch again, and don't hesitate to ask me for help if you ever need any.

Greetings,
Michael
Last edited by GamePlayHeaven on Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:35, edited 1 time in total.

Prozak

Postby Prozak » Tue Apr 20, 2004 21:24

glad you liked the new site, took a few years to get it from zero, learning php, to where it is now, but aside from the forums, all the code is mine, so its a good show-piece for a possible web-design / web-coding job...

I am looking for someone that can offer a bit of their time, a graphics coder, for me to share some workload of Colibri.

I'll allways be responsible for the core code, but I would like to have a partner coder to help me in the design, debug some vertex/pixel shader code, network code, etc.

The engine supports plugins, and it has been designed from the ground up to be totally polymorphic, so anything can added or removed from its core, via plugins (dll) or scripts (LUA 5 scripts).

Im writing some 3DS file importer code, which i'll then export into a plugin, and upload the .net project onto the website, so others can code their own exporter/importer plugins for Colibri, and have an example project to look at.

Anyways, my most current annoying bug is that i cant get difuse lighting to work properly...

The engine is API-independent, but only the OpenGL part is developed. Im using nVidia's Cg shader compiler to work with pixel/vertex shaders, and for the life of me, although it all works, the lighting results are never correct... some wrong matrix math or something...

And then as a proof of concept or something, you could convert Bomberman to 3D using the engine SDK and a couple of plugins, with models imported from 3DS, per-pixel lighting, normal maps, bump-mapping, the works :P

before you say anything, im not looking for a slave or someone to do work for me, but a real partner that offers insight, and if im right about you, then you probably are interested in starting development of something 3D.

Also, i have my own schedule, you have yours, so this is a "when we can do it" sort of deal... when there is time for us to meet at discuss stuff, then we meet...

One thing I've learned with this engine is to develop the next step slowly, adding slowly to the engine, without puting your foot in your mouth...

geezz, lately my posts have been huge rant, lol, so ill stop now.

Loved the Bombahman screens, another download hit for sure ;)

GamePlayHeaven
Site Admin

Postby GamePlayHeaven » Wed Apr 21, 2004 0:16

That sounds interesting, and a lot of fun to do. I would surely jump right on if it wheren't for finishing Bombahman first :( Due to changes in real life and some other external factors, the game has had some serious delays.

But coding on it is still a lot of fun. The engine uses DDraw and D3D now (default D3D). I still have to add OpenGL to it :) The first release will be the multiplayer release, and I was hoping to get it done somewhere in the summer of this year. Next will be a single player/coop mode... maybe end of the year or summer next year...

I have yet to start on true 3D coding however.
I've read books on it, but never got the time to start on it yet.
It is the next step to take, as a lot of the techniques will make my 2D games look more beautifull. But I bet it will take some time to get aquinted to...
Last edited by GamePlayHeaven on Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:35, edited 1 time in total.

Prozak

Postby Prozak » Sun May 09, 2004 18:07

Hi again ?:wavey:

Well, i've started looking for a 3D low-poly modeler, to do something along the lines of:
- Monopoly
- Lost Vikings
- Bomberman
- Mario

Got the engine to work with multiple shader support and now im trying to load up Quake 3 levels...

work work work ?:nut:

From Hacker, what is your experience with fans?

GamePlayHeaven
Site Admin

Postby GamePlayHeaven » Mon May 10, 2004 11:11

Fans are great :ylsuper:

I got some great feedback from them, and a lot of requests I implemented. It has something to do with having a finished product, which you can enhance a little to make the game even better for the players out there.
In HaCKeR's case, it even meant working on a succesfull game, as it got some great reviews over the web. It's like going back in time and enjoying it all over again.

I always love doing updates on HaCKeR.
If someone contacts me in 20 years with a request, I'm probably gonna implement it LOL!

Return to “Main”